Author of the JP Weiscarver Mystery Series
It is 89 days until the general election, and you must be on the lookout for politicians who are coming to take your guns!
I mean, it’s bound to happen sooner or later.
For 16 of the past 28 years, Democrats have been in the White House, eight years with Clinton and eight years with Obama. Throughout both of their administrations, as well as the year or so running up to each, we’ve been repeatedly told they were planning to take our guns.
Yet, here we are with our guns.
I bring this up today because we’ve just learned the New York attorney general’s office announced it is filing a lawsuit against the National Rifle Association with an intent to dissolve the organization – which is chartered in New York – for numerous violations of state laws governing charities.
You know, the same way it shut down the Trump Foundation and for essentially the same reason, it sounds, diverting charity funds for personal use and that sort of thing.
We’ll hear much more as it plays out.
What I suspect we’ll hear more of beginning immediately are cries that the Second Amendment is under attack and … wait for it … “They’re coming to get our guns!”
Is that true?
It is accurate that Democrats, as a whole, want to do what we can to reduce the number of victims of guns. Headlines go to mass shootings, but the day-to-day count of suicides and domestic shootings mounts much higher.
It’s also true that some Democrats – an incredibly small percentage, I believe – would like to totally ban guns, but I’m positive there are many more Democrats who themselves own guns than who want to ban them all.
I own guns. My first was passed down by my grandfather when I was 6 years old. I do not want to ban guns.
More important, however, is what Joe Biden wants to do about guns. For that, we go to his “Plan to end our gun violence epidemic.”
The plan is more than 3,400 words long, so I’ll just pull out a few tidbits here and let you read the details as you wish.
* “Almost 40,000 people die as a result of firearm injuries every year in the United States.”
* Prioritize repealing the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to make gun manufacturers “civilly liable for their products – a protection granted to no other industry.”
* “Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Federal law prevents hunters from hunting migratory game birds with more than three shells in their shotgun. That means our federal law does more to protect ducks than children.” This is the only place you’ll see mention of “bans,” applying to the sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, weapons of war.
* “Regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act.” His plan doesn’t even mention taking away assault weapons already owned, as long as they are registered and their owners pass a background check. During the campaign, then-candidate Beto O’Rourke received bunches of airtime when he said, “Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47” in his proposed buyback program. Biden’s plan does not say this, but be prepared to hear Republicans suggest it does.
* Biden does mention a buyback program as an option for current owners who do not wish to register their weapons.
* “Biden will enact universal background check legislation, requiring a background check for all gun sales with very limited exceptions, such as gifts between close family members.” So, I will be able to pass my grandfather’s squirrel rifle to my grandson but selling it to my neighbor would require a background check.
* “Reinstate the Obama-Biden policy to keep guns out of the hands of certain people unable to manage their affairs for mental reasons, which President Trump reversed.”
* “Close the “fugitive from justice” loophole created by the Trump Administration.”
It keeps going, with detail after detail about ways to better protect Americans from firearms without an outright ban.
However, that means Republicans will scream Biden would be laying the groundwork for a plan to eventually take all our weapons.
Yes, they’re just that predictable, but they’ve been saying the same thing for decades now, all the while stockpiling guns and ammo.
Resist the fear peddlers. Respect future innocent gun victims. Vote Blue this fall.