Steve Martaindale

Author of the JP Weiscarver Mystery Series

Would you go?

beach scene

Chocolate Bay, Saint Lucia.

Leah and I were reading recently about a program requiring two people to be on a remote island by themselves for a month. The information went on and on about how difficult this would be for some people.

First of all, we’re not talking “Robinson Crusoe” or “Cast Away.” Program participants are allowed to carry in food and supplies for the month. Plus, there is a house, solar-generated electricity, refrigerator, reverse osmosis water maker and even laundry facilities.

Oh, wait, did I mention the house even has air-conditioning? What’s not to love?

Well, now that I asked, would it bother you much if there is no telephone (unless you bring a satellite phone), no television (not even football!) and no Internet (you know, that thing you’re using right now to read this)?

I would miss Internet, to be honest with you, but not so much television and certainly not the phone. But let’s get real, people, we’re talking one month, like 30 days, like 720 hours. And it’s on a sub-tropical island. Can you say Paradise?

The bigger question here is how comfortable you feel being alone. Or, in this case, a couple being alone. Could you handle it?

I’m continually finding evidence that I’m outside the norm on just about everything and this might be another case. Regardless, I’m really OK spending time alone. And I’m super-OK being with just Leah, though I suspect she wants more interaction than me. But, heck, for a month she could talk to the sea turtles and the birds.

Maybe it’s because I consider all the voices in my head as company. Maybe I’m egocentric. Or maybe I’m too selective.

For example, I love long drives all by myself and I seldom turn on the radio unless I’m getting sleepy. I can spend all day on the computer, writing or just surfing around. And then there’s what many consider the biggie: I even don’t mind eating alone in a restaurant.

So, would you grab at the opportunity to be cut off from the rest of the world, just you and your bestie, for a month on a deserted island?

Advertisements

9 responses to “Would you go?

1. Mary Gowins June 15, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I would jump at the chance! Geary and I could do that standing on our heads!

2. Bobbie Sinnott June 15, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I would jump at the chance as long as Bud had a couple of tools and I had books,Bud and I are very comfortable alone with each other

Liked by 1 person

3. James Wayt June 15, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Where do I sign up? I could totally do this. No worries, care free. If all of my responsibilities were taken care of off the island, I could sit there and enjoy looking at nature and enjoying being with my wife.

4. danthughes June 15, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Absolutely. Have only had TV for two years of my adult life so wouldn’t miss that. We definitely take all those books that I’ve been too busy to read. Happy to be alone but would appreciate a companion in the trip. This would likely be life changing on many Counts.

Liked by 1 person

5. Joe June 15, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Sure. I’m alone most of the time now. I would miss TV and internet but if I had a couple of good digital cameras I would be just fine.

Liked by 1 person

6. Sandy Reichhoff June 15, 2016 at 1:05 pm

YES YES YES!!!

Liked by 1 person

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s